January 20, 2019
EMMANUEL CONNECTIONS WILL MEET SUNDAY, JANUARY 20, for our book study in Ebenezer Hall from 3-5 p.m. (Childcare is an option for this book-study event; please let Pastor Dan know if you are interested in using this option.) We’ll focus on chapters 3-5 of the book Family Vocation. Saturday, January 26, will be our service/social event, as we participate in the Allen County March for Life. We will meet at Emmanuel at 12:30 p.m. and walk to the University of St. Francis Performing Arts Center for the start of the march. For questions and/or more details, please speak with Pastor Dan.
FREE PROGRAM FOR FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND CAREGIVERS OF PERSONS WITH MENTAL ILLNESS. Learn to communicate more effectively with your loved one, plus how to
- get up-to-date information on mental health and current treatments;
- manage crises and solve problems;
- take care of yourself;
- find and use local support services;
- cope with the impact of mental illness on your family
- understand that you are not alone.
11 weeks • Thursdays, 7-9:30 p.m. • Feb 2—May 2 • 3327 Lake Ave.
EMMANUEL’S LWML WILL MEET THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7, in the lower level of Ebenezer Hall, beginning at 1:00 p.m. We will work for an hour making fleece blankets to donate to Phil’s Friends, which provides support to those affected by cancer. Materials are supplied. From 2-3:00 p.m., we will continue our Women of the Bible study.
ESM EARLY CHILDHOOD MINISTRY TO BEGIN IN THE 2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR – ESM is excited to invite you to an informal meeting to learn more about the Early Childhood Ministry that will be available for children ages 2-5 in the 2019-20 school year. Meetings will provide helpful information for both current and prospective families, so please invite a friend to join you. Visit www.esmeagles.com and register to attend. The meetings will be held on Wednesday, January 23, from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at Emmanuel in the Loft; Wednesday, January 30, from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at St. Michael in Luther Hall; Sunday, February 3, from 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m. at Emmanuel in the Loft; and Sunday, February 10, from 12:30-1:30 p.m. at St. Michael in the church lobby. Please join us!
SCHOOL-WIDE OPEN HOUSE – Would you or someone you know like to learn more about ESM Lutheran School? Join us Sunday, January 27, from 12–3 p.m. Visit both the Getz Road and Union Street Campuses to learn about our Christ-centered school and all it has to offer your family. Teachers will be present to answer questions, give tours, and share goals for their students.
- Monday Morning Motivation – This women's devotion group, will restart January 7, from 6:45-7:30 a.m. every Monday morning through March at The Mocha Lounge, 6312 Covington Road, 46804.
- Intro to Yoga – A one hour beginner Yoga class in the Lower Level of Ebenezer Hall on the first Monday of the month, starting February 4 at 7:00 pm.
- Movies at the Embassy – The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, Rudy, Breaking Away, Hoosiers, and Sunset Boulevard. Show times are Sundays from January 13 to February 24 at 3:00 pm. Tickets are $10/movie or $40 for the 6-movie Flex Pass. Find more information at fwembassytheatre.org.
- Riverfront Educational Series – Riverfront Fort Wayne is offering the public three opportunities to meet the team involved with riverfront development and learn more about plans for the future. Each evening will feature a different topic and panel discussion at Hop River Brewing Company. Beer, cider, wine, and non-alcoholic drinks, as well as light snacks, will be available for purchase. Hop River will offer free tours of the brewery before and after the event. This FREE event is family-friendly and limited to the first 200 people, so the group should plan to arrive early. Presentations are scheduled February 11, March 11, and April 8, from 6:30-8:00 pm. More information, is available at www.RiverfrontFW.org.
- Riverfront Cleanup – Volunteers will trim shrubs and carry the brush to an area in the park. All tools and work gloves will be provided. This is a family-friendly activity, so children are welcome. Please dress for the weather! Close-toed shoes are recommended. The group will meet February 16 at Bloomingdale Park (Sherman Blvd. and Burgess Street) from 8:30-noon.
YOUTH NEWS – SNA WILL MEET ON SUNDAYS, JANUARY 13, 20, AND 27, FROM 6–8 P.M. IN THE LOFT. In January and February, SNA will dive into personal study with follow-up discussions on Sunday nights.
FOOD PANTRY – To meet the needs of those who visit our food bank in February, we could use donations of cereal, canned vegetables, fruit, peanut butter, mac and cheese, pasta, pasta sauce, deodorant, shampoo, dish and hand soap, toothpaste, and paper products, especially toilet paper and paper towels. Food donations can be placed in the “Food Pantry” box located in the Welcome Center. Cash donations may be placed in your church envelope and marked “food pantry” on the “other” line. Members may stop by for food any day when the office is open, and the food pantry will be available for those living in the 46802 zip code area on Thursday, February 21, from 3:30-5:30 p.m. in the lower level of Ebenezer Hall. If you are interested in helping with this ministry, please contact Carolyn Beitz at 432-9189.
THE MOVEABLE FEAST – All are welcome between worship services on Sunday mornings in Ebenezer Hall for food and fellowship. Please consider bringing a dish to share – it’s always appreciated!
PRAYER CHAIN MINISTRY – We can confidently approach our God in prayer because He has commanded us to pray and has promised to hear us. To submit a prayer request, call Marsha Sappenfield at 260-616-0679 or Jan Hoffman at 260-245-6604
PRAYER SHAWL MINISTRY – This ministry creates knitted or crocheted shawls that are shared with individuals with various needs. The shawls provide comfort and assurance of God’s love for them in the situation they face daily. We welcome you to join us the second Tuesday of each month from 9:30–11:00 a.m. in Ebenezer Hall as we encourage one another and work and pray over our handiwork. Prayer Shawls are available in Ebenezer Hall for members to share with family or friends who are in need of prayer. If you take a shawl to someone in need, you are encouraged to pray with them as well.
CUP OF KINDNESS BOXES can be found in the Welcome Center. The money collected is used by Lutheran Social Services for families who have crisis needs.
HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY – The Lutheran Foundation is offering scholarship opportunities to students in northeast Indiana who are pursuing professions in healthcare. Application deadline for the 2019-20 school year is February 1. Visit https://thelutheranfoundation.org/impact/health-scholarships/ for more information.
THE LION’S CLUB IS ACCEPTING DONATIONS of eye glasses, hearing aids, and hearing aid batteries. You can place your donations on the counter in front of Becki’s desk in the church office. Thank you for your support.
LUTHERANS FOR LIFE – “Sixty million unborn children have died as a result of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton decisions. However, through the right-to-life movement’s determination to protect mothers and their children, we continue to see evidence that our efforts to educate America about the unborn child’s humanity, and our efforts to enact protective pro-life legislation, are having a tremendous impact in moving our nation away from Roe’s and Doe’s deadly legacy.” Carol Tobias, president of National Right to Life – A Life Quote from Lutherans For Life - www.lutheransforlife.org
The Calendar of the Church
Monday, January 21
ESM & PRESCHOOL CLOSED (Daycare Open) – MLK HOLIDAY
6:45 a.m. Women’s Devotion Group at Mocha Lounge
12:30 p.m. Adult Bible Class
5:30 p.m. LifeLight
6:00 p.m. Handbells
7:00 p.m. School Board Meeting
7:00 p.m. West Central Neighborhood Meeting
Tuesday, January 22
6:00 p.m. Stephen Ministry
Wednesday, January 23
6:30 a.m. Men’s Bible Study
8:30 a.m. School Chapel
8:30 a.m. Women’s Bible Study
8:30 a.m. Early Childhood Coffee Chat
10:00 a.m. Bible Study
5:30 p.m. NewSong
7:00 p.m. Chancel Choir
Thursday, January 24
8:30 a.m. Thursday Guys
9:00 a.m. Piece Makers
Friday, January 25
6:30 a.m. Men’s Bible Study – Mocha Lounge
9:00 a.m. Emmanuel Playdate
1:30 p.m. LLV Bible Class
Saturday, January 26
3:30 p.m. Praise Team
5:00 p.m. Divine Service
Sunday, January 27
8:00 a.m. Divine Service with Communion
9:00 a.m. Moveable Feast
9:15 a.m. Sunday School and Bible Classes
10:30 a.m. Divine Service
12:30 p.m. Emmanuel Connections – March for Life
6:00 p.m. SNA - Loft