February 16, 2020
THIS WEEK’S SUNDAY SCHOOL LESSONS—FEBRUARY 16, “A Life Restored”: Jairus, a synagogue ruler, comes to Jesus, begging Him to heal his critically ill daughter. Along the way, servants come with news of his daughter’s death. Taking along Peter, James, and John, Jesus ignores the mourners, takes the young girl by the hand and tells her, “Arise.” And rise she does, demonstrating Jesus’ power over death itself.
GRIEF FELLOWSHIP will meet on Wednesday, February 19, at noon at Hall's Guesthouse, located at 1313 West Washington Center Road. Please contact Bev Williams at 260-432-2891 to confirm your attendance. Thank you!
SENIOR HIGH YOUTH—9TH, 10TH, 11TH AND 12TH GRADERS - EYG will meet for SNA on Sunday, February 23, from 6-8 p.m. in the Loft.
WELLSPRING SNACKS – Emmanuel has been providing snacks for Wellspring programming each March for many years. The afterschool program serving 40 children and the Friday morning program serving 50 seniors benefit from our involvement. A sign-up sheet with instructions is available in Ebenezer Hall. Cash donations are always welcome and can be listed on the “other" line of your envelope and marked “Wellspring Snacks.” For more information, contact Lana Hille in the church office, 423-1369.
EMMANUEL’S VISUAL FAITH MINISTRY has some exciting plans for March, April, and May. All Visual Faith Gatherings will be in Ebenezer Hall from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 3 - Join us as we create prayer cards and bookmarks for LSCM (Lutheran Senior Care Ministry) chaplains to share with nursing home residents attending their weekly chapel services. These cards bring words of encouragement and hope through the Gospel message. Please join us in this ministry endeavor.
- Tuesday, April 7 – Creative Lettering - Learn the art of creative lettering - Dot Grid Fun, Personal Font, Gutsy Letters, Overlapping Letters, Faux Calligraphy and Letters with a Flare.
- Tuesday, May 5 - Share Your Faith Story - What is the most important thing you have to share with the next generation? What has eternal value? Faith in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior! This evening will inspire you and give you a tool you can use to share your faith with those most important to you. If this sounds intriguing please pick up a “Walking with the Lord” worksheet set in Ebenezer Hall to begin thinking about and gathering information for the project.
EMMANUEL’S BOOK CLUB will meet on Thursday, February 20, at 7 p.m. at the home of Connie LaBrash. The book for discussion will be “Warrior Monk” by Ray Keating. Everyone is welcome to attend. For questions or directions to Connie’s house, please contact Beth Igney at 203-9959.
ATTENTION ALL CARD PLAYERS! Please join us for EYG’s annual Euchre Night on Saturday, March 14, from 6-8 p.m. in Emmanuel’s gymnasium. You are welcome to enter with a partner or individually. You may register/pay during the week at the church office during business hours, 8:30 a.m. – 4:40 p.m., or at the door the night of the event. Cost is $10 per participant, with proceeds being used to send care packages to students in college or the military. Snacks and prizes provided.
EAGLES RISE 2020 – Mark your calendars for Tuesday, March 3, at the History Center, where ESM will host a dinner, an auction, positive stories, and fellowship at Eagles Rise 2020, and help us fund our future! Registration is available online at esmEagles.com, or you can contact Kathy Lash at 422-6712 for more information.
DIRECT THRIVENT CHOICE DOLLARS® BY MARCH 31 - Thrivent Financial members who have available Choice Dollars® have until March 31 to direct them. Don’t miss this opportunity to recommend that Thrivent Financial provide outreach funding to Emmanuel Lutheran Church. Go to Thrivent.com/thriventchoice to learn more. Or call 800-847-4836 and say “Thrivent Choice” after the prompt.
FOLLOW-UP TO OUR SERIES ON THE CHURCH AND MENTAL HEALTH - NAMI Fort Wayne (local affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness) offers a lineup of Education Night speakers for January through March. Whether your interest in mental health is personal or professional, these programs offer helpful information and supportive personal contacts. We hope you will consider attending. Programs begin at 7 p.m. at The Carriage House, 3327 Lake Avenue, Fort Wayne, and are free and open to the public. Reservations are not needed.
- Tuesday, February 25: Tom Weir from the Carriage House Club House will share information about their work support program.
- Tuesday, March 24: Stephanie Haynes from Aperion Care Fort Wayne will discuss their Harmony Unit, serving patients with psychiatric needs, including bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia, and other serious mental health conditions.
CUP OF KINDNESS BOXES can be found in the Welcome Center. The money collected is used by Lutheran Social Services for families who have crisis needs.
EYEGLASSES AND HEARING AID DONATIONS – The Lions Club has long been recognized for efforts in assisting the sight-impaired by collecting used eyeglasses. Not as well-known is the collection of hearing aids and batteries. Our member, Dick Alfeld, has placed a collection box in the church office to gather those eyeglasses, hearing aids, and batteries that you no longer use. Thank you for your support.
The Calendar of the Church
Monday, February 17
ESM CLOSED – Mid-Winter Break
6:45 a.m. Women’s Devotion Group at Mocha Lounge
12:30 p.m. Bible Class in Ebenezer Hall
5:30 p.m. LifeLight
6:00 p.m. Handbells
7:00 p.m. School Board Meeting
7:00 p.m. West Central Neighborhood Association Mtg. in LL of Ebenezer
Tuesday, February 18
6:00 p.m. Stephen Training
8:30 p.m. Women’s Bible Study
Wednesday, February 19
6:30 a.m. Men’s Bible Study
8:30 a.m. School Chapel
8:30 a.m. Women’s Bible Study
10:00 a.m. Bible Study
12:30 p.m. Grief Fellowship
3:30 p.m. PALS
6:00 p.m. NewSong Choir
6:30 p.m. Festival and Chancel Choir
6:30 p.m. Kindergarten Info and Enrollment Session at Getz Road Campus
Thursday, February 20
8:30 a.m. Thursday Guys
9:00 a.m. The Piece Makers
3:30 p.m. Food Pantry
7:00 p.m. Book Club
Friday, February 21
6:30 a.m. Men’s Bible Study – Mocha Lounge
1:30 p.m. LLV Bible Class
7:00 p.m. ESM Talent Show – Union St. Campus Gym
Saturday, February 22
3:30 p.m. Praise Team
5:00 p.m. Divine Worship Service
6:15 p.m. Growth Group – C.S. Lewis Book Group in the Loft
Sunday, February 23
8:00 a.m. Divine Worship Service with Communion
9:00 a.m. Moveable Feast
9:15 a.m. Adult Bible Classes and Sunday School
10:30 a.m. Divine Worship Service
3:00 p.m. Emmanuel Connections
6:00 p.m. SNA in the Loft